Friday, June 13, 2008

New Camera = New Found Love!

While shooting with Canon's 20D & 30D for the past few years, which are both 1.6x crop sensor bodies, I always felt limited. In news, wedding and event photography the ability to have a wide frame of view is almost a must. I always felt that I was limited to an utra wide 12-24 lens when using the crop bodies in fear that I would be too close or have to shoot a scene or group that was in a sense too wide for my 24-70.
It was countless assignments that I felt the need for more that led me to purchase Canon's 5D. The 5D is a full frame camera, this means that the field of view of the sensor is equal to a 35mm camera and that a lenses marked range ( ie: 24-70 ) is truly 24mm - 70mm, not a cropped field of view like that of the 1.6, and 1.3 crop sensor cameras out there.
After using this camera for just 3 minutes, I fell in love. It has rekindled my love for using ultra-fast primes such as the 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.2, etc... There is just something about shooting wide open with a prime lens. The second reason I purchased the 5D is its capability to shoot very clean, noise free photos at higher iso's, giving me the latitude in photographic style of shooting by available light more often than popping a flash on and creating my own light (though I love doing that as well, but now... I don't HAVE to).
Well, here is a shot I took with the 5D, 50mm 1.8 at iso 640. The only photoshop was a resize and slight level. Amazing!



DAVID ESPOSITO / PHOTOGRAPHER

No comments: